By Laina Carter of McGrail Vineyards
Irish Beef & Potato Stew
Makes about 12 servings.
- 3 tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 2 1/2 lbs. choice beef roast, cut into 1.5″ cubes
- 2 tbsp. minced garlic, divided
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 large sprigs of rosemary
- 3 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 1/2 large yellow onion, chopped
- 6 large carrots, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped celery stalks, leaves removed
- 1 tbsp. fresh rosemary leaves, chopped
- 2 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 tbsp. fresh oregano leaves, chopped
- 1/2 tbsp. fresh Italian parsley leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup leeks, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 1/4 cup Irish stout beer
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 2 1/4 lbs. red potatoes, cubed into 1″ pieces
- 1 cup frozen organic peas
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil on medium in a large frying pan.
- In a medium sized bowl, add cubed beef roast, 1 tablespoon minced garlic. Stir.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper over beef, while stirring, to coat evenly.
- Slowly coat beef chunks flour with flour and stir to coat evenly.
- Cook dredged beef and sprigs of rosemary in hot olive oil, stirring constantly, until beef is just browned around edges. Remove from pan and set aside. Toss rosemary sprigs.
- In the same pan, add 1 tablespoon olive oil and chopped bacon, then stir until bacon is cooked through. Add 1 tablespoon minced garlic, chopped onion, carrots, and celery. Sautee until soft.
- In a large crockpot, add browned beef, cooked bacon and veggie mixture, chopped herbs, leeks, bay leaves, beef broth, tomato sauce, Irish stout, and red wine. Stir. Cover and cook on high for about 2-3 hours or until stew has began bubbling.
- Remove one of the two bay leaves and add the potatoes. Stir. Continue to cook on high for about 1.5-2 more hours or until potatoes have been cooked through.
- Add frozen peas to soup and stir.
- Serve stew hot with toasted herb focaccia bread and a glass or two of 2017 McGrail Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve.
I hope I’ve inspired you to make this warm classic Irish stew at home! Please let us know if you do try out this recipe. We’d love to hear from you!
Cheers and enjoy!