By Laina Carter of McGrail Vineyards
Regardless of the fact our winemaker isn’t always pleased with me when I make cocktails and other drinks that involve adding something to his wine, Mark and I both know some people LOVE that sort of thing, and in this business, it’s all about making customers happy. It’s fun, trendy, and just a change of pace.
Sangria is perhaps one of the most popular drinks to create with wine. Traditionally, sangria contains chopped fruit, red wine, and some kind of spirit. It’s quite simple to make, but it sure can make you feel fun and festive! This is an easy recipe I’ve made up using our Red Blend. I hope you like this recipe and try it out for yourself!
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped honey crisp apples
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped Bosc pears
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped D’Anjou pears
- 1/2 cup fresh orange slices
- 1/2 cup fresh lime slices
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon slices
- 1/4 cup pomegranate arils
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 1/2 teaspoons whole cloves
- 1 bottle of McGrail Red Blend
- 3/4 cup brandy
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/2 cup cranberry juice
- 1 cup ginger beer
- 6 oz. lemon lime soda
- 6 oz. can berry-flavored sparkling water
- 6 oz. can orange-flavored sparkling water
- Rosemary sprigs and cinnamon sticks for garnish
- In a large punch bowl or very large pitcher, combine cranberries, chopped apples, chopped pears, orange slices, lime slices, lemon slices, pomegranate arils, cinnamon sticks, cloves, Cabernet, brandy, orange juice, and cranberry juice. Stir.
- Chill for at least an hour. We’ve found that allowing it to sit overnight maximizes the fruit and spice flavors.
- Add ginger beer, lemon lime soda, and sparkling water. Stir.
- Serve over ice. Add rosemary sprigs and/or cinnamon sticks as a garnish.