Strawberry Basil Chicken & Kylie Ryan Rosé
By Laina Carter of McGrail Vineyards
With strawberry being the overwhelming flavor on the palate for most vintages of our Rosé, I thought it was about time to incorporate actual strawberries into one of my Rosé pairings. That strawberry component was even more noticeable for me in this new 2020 vintage than it’s ever been! The composition of our newest Rosé varies drastically from that of years past, but it somehow is very reminiscent of our recent vintages. To be exact, our 2020 Rosé is 59.74% Merlot, 28.76% Malbec, 7.5% Grenache Blanc, and 5% Sauvignon Blanc; this is pretty different to our all-red 2019 and 2018 vintages, which were three equal parts Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, and Malbec. Adding those extra bits of Grenache Blanc and Sauvignon Blanc will inevitably incorporate gorgeous tropical fruit and herbal notes, which coincide with the basil and balsamic in this strawberry basil chicken dish. Overall, it’s an elegant and delightful pairing.
Strawberry Basil Balsamic Chicken
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, chopped into 1/2″ pieces
- 8 oz. small ciliegine mozzarella balls, chopped into 1/2″ pieces
- 1/2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar glaze (slightly thicker and sweeter than regular balsamic vinegar)
- 2 tbsp. Georgia peach white balsamic glaze (I used Gourmet Blends’ version, but Amazon has some highly rated alternatives)
- 4 8 oz. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- Heat grill on medium.
- In a medium bowl, combine chopped strawberries, chopped mozzarella, and balsamic glazes. Stir well.
- Season chicken breasts with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Grill chicken breasts over medium heat (about 250 degrees F) for 10-12 minutes, or until they’ve reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Plate cooked chicken breasts.
- Add chopped basil to strawberry and mozzarella salad. Add salt and pepper to taste. Mix.
- Evenly spoon strawberry and mozzarella salad over chicken breasts.
- Serve immediately with a side of toasted bread and of course a few glasses of our delicious Kylie Ryan Rosé!
Please let us know if you end up making these pairings and if you have any feedback! We’d love to hear it.
Cheers and enjoy!