By Laina Carter of McGrail Vineyards
This recipe is so simple and easy to make, but so refreshing in the way that it’s actually a phenomenal pairing and full of amazing flavor. Fresh arugula, herbs, parmesan, and Meyer lemon are classic Italian ingredients that can truly bring a dish to life. With just minimal ingredients, this beef tagliata dinner can bring out the best of our Timeless Cab. Speaking of “the best,” our Timeless is actually the best of our favorite vintages from our estate property. The Lot 567 version is a combination of our 2015, 2016, and 2017 estate Cabernet Sauvignon all blended into one bottle. It’s fantastic!
Grilled Beef Tagliata & Arugula Salad
Makes about 2 servings.
- 2 8 oz. beef sirloin steaks
- 1 tbsp. garlic
- 1 tbsp. fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 tsp. fresh oregano leaves
- 1 tsp. fresh Italian parsley leaves
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
- Salt, pepper, and onion powder to taste
- 4 cups organic arugula, cleaned and dried
- 1/2 cup shaved parmesan
- 2 tbsp. Meyer lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Take steaks out of refrigerator and allow to come to room temperature.
- Heat grill on medium.
- In a food processor, combine garlic, rosemary, oregano, parsley, and thyme. Process until broken down into paste.
- Liberally season steaks with salt, pepper, and onion powder. Using a basting brush, evenly coat steaks in herb paste.
- Grill steak for three minutes on each side, then another three minutes on each side (a total of 12 minutes per steak and 6 minutes per each side of steak). This is how I grill a steak that has a medium thickness to achieve a medium-rare doneness. Steaks can be cooked for a longer or shorter amount of time to achieve desired doneness. Allow steak to rest for 5-10 minutes before cutting.
- Place two cups arugula on two plates. Sprinkle half of your parmesan on each. Mix together your lemon juice and olive oil in a small bowl, then drizzle half on each plate. Season your salad with salt and pepper to taste.
- Once steak has rested, slice into 1/2″ pieces. Place each steak on each plate.
- Enjoy salad alongside a couple glasses of McGrail Timeless Cab!
Please let us know if you end up making these pairings and if you have any feedback! We’d love to hear it.
Cheers and enjoy!