By Laina Carter of McGrail Vineyards
Tri Tip and Blue Cheese Salad
Makes 4 servings of salad.
- 2 lbs. tri tip, silver skin removed
- salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste
- 3 tbsp. meat rub of choice (I used Five Marys Spice Seasoning Rub)
- 2 hearts romaine lettuce, chopped
- 2 corn cobs, husks and silks removed, kernels cut from cob
- 1 large haas avocado, pitted and cubed
- 1 oz. parmesan crisp croutons
- 8 oz. mini heirloom tomatoes, quartered
- 6 tbsp. crumbled blue cheese
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 oz. Sonomic balsamic red wine reduction
- 2 oz. balsamic vinegar
- 2 oz. olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. herbs de Provence
- Season tri tip with rub of choice and allow to sit for at least one hour. Work rub into meat.
- Heat grill on high. Liberally season tri tip with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Sear tri tip on each side for 6-8 minutes. Lower heat to low and flip meat over. Cook for 8-10 minutes on each side. Meat will be ready when the internal temperature of the thickest part of the meat has reached 130 degrees F. Allow meat to rest for 10-20 minutes, then slice against the grain.
- On four salad plates, evenly divide romaine lettuce, corn kernels, avocado, croutons, tomatoes, and blue cheese. Add about 4 ounces tri tip on top of each salad.
- In a small bowl, combine shallot, Sonomic balsamic red wine reduction, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt, pepper, and herbs de Provence. Stir well, then drizzle over each salad.
- Store remaining tri tip in an airtight container for up to one week after preparing.
- Enjoy this flavorful salad with a glass of our 2016 James Vincent Cabernet Sauvignon.