By Laina Carter of McGrail Vineyards
Easy German Red Cabbage
Makes about 8 servings.
- 1 1/2 small apples, thinly sliced
- 1 medium sweet onion, thinly sliced
- I medium head organic red cabbage, sliced
- 1/2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Spray a large, heavy-bottomed pot with cooking spray and heat on medium. Add apples and onions and cook until onions become soft.
- Add remaining ingredients. Stir. Cover and continue to cook on medium for about an hour, stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot or cold with grilled brats, spaetzle, a soft Bavarian pretzel, and a glass of 2016 McGrail Cabernet Reserve.
I hope I’ve inspired you to make this easy, but delicious fall staple at home! Please let us know if you do try out this recipe. We’d love to hear from you!
Cheers and enjoy!