By Laina Carter of McGrail Vineyards
What’s not to love about this classic Bavarian dish with a delicious Cab? This easy German red cabbage recipe and award-winning Cab are a no-brainer! There are just eight simple ingredients and three steps to whipping up this delectable fare that can be served cold or hot.
Easy German Red Cabbage
Makes about 8 servings.
- 1 1/2 small apples, thinly sliced
- 1 medium sweet onion, thinly sliced
- I medium head organic red cabbage, sliced
- 1/2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 3/4 tsp. pepper
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Spray a large, heavy-bottomed pot with cooking spray and heat on medium. Add apples and onions and cook until onions become soft.
- Add remaining ingredients. Stir. Cover and continue to cook on medium for about an hour, stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot or cold with grilled brats, spaetzle, a soft Bavarian pretzel, and a glass of 2016 McGrail Cabernet Reserve.
I hope I’ve inspired you to make this easy, but delicious fall staple at home! Please let us know if you do try out this easy German red cabbage recipe. We’d love to hear from you!
Cheers and enjoy!