By Laina Carter of McGrail Vineyards
Can’t choose between our Gracie Sparkling and Peyton Paige Sauvignon Blanc? That’s okay; neither can I. This dish works with both of these delightfully crisp, refreshing wines. Either combo is godsent on a hot day, which we’ve had plenty of lately. The soft, creamy texture of the scallops tones down the heat of the cayenne and jalapeño, and both are brightened by a splash of citrus. Each of these flavors combine to complement our Gracie and Peyton Paige wines with these spicy citrus scallops.
Spicy Citrus Scallops & Cabbage Salad
Makes about 6 servings.
- 1 lb. frozen scallops
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cups Napa cabbage, thinly shredded
- 1 cup red cabbage, thinly shredded
- 8 oz. mung bean sprouts
- 2 green onions, sliced thinly
- 1 cup fresh-squeezed orange juice
- 1/2 cup fresh-squeezed tangerine or clementine juice
- 1/3 cup fresh-squeezed lime juice
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 jalapeño, seeds removed, minced, separated
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne powder, separated
- 3 blood oranges, peeled and sliced thinly
- 2 avocados, peeled, pitted, and sliced thinly
- Soak frozen scallops in a large bowl of water overnight or for up to 24 hours to defrost and minimize fishiness.
- Heat olive oil in a griddle or frying pan on high (about 400 degrees F).
- In a large salad bowl, combine Napa cabbage, red cabbage, bean sprouts, and green onion. Mix well.
- In a small bowl, combine orange juice, tangerine juice, lime juice, minced garlic, 3/4 jalapeño, 1/8 tsp. cayenne, and salt and pepper to taste, to create the dressing.
- Use a paper towel to pat the scallops dry. Season with salt, pepper, and remaining jalapeño, and cayenne. Allow to sit at room temperature for twenty minutes.
- Sear the scallops in the pre-heated griddle for about 4 minutes per side, or until cooked through. Add small spoonfuls of dressing over scallops as they sear for added flavor.
- Dress the salad and plate it. Top with avocado, blood orange, and seared scallops.
I hope I’ve inspired you to make this delightful summertime dish to enjoy with one of our yummy chilled wines! Please let us know if you do end up enjoying this pairing at home. We’d love to hear from you!
Cheers and enjoy!