By Laina Carter of McGrail Vineyards
Malbec, which is the favorite varietal of our Winemaker’s mother, is typically an easy drinking, jammy wine. Being a producer of heavy, tannic Cabernets, our Malbec is naturally bigger and bolder than the typical Malbec. The large body on this Bordeaux varietal makes it excellent for pairing with heavy cheeses and red meats. A favorite of our winemaker, blue cheese burgers make a seriously scrumptious suitor for our Malbec.
Black & Blue Cheese Burgers
Makes 3 burgers.
- 1 lb. organic ground burger (I used 85% lean ground beef)
- 1 ⅔ tbsp. worcestershire sauce, divided
- 2 tbsp. minced garlic, divided
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 ½ tbsp. whole grain dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, sliced into ⅓” rounds
- 2 tbsp. red wine
- 4 oz. baby bella mushrooms
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 3 oz. organic blue cheese crumbles
- 3 ciabatta rolls (3 oz. each)
- 6 pieces romaine lettuce leaves, cut into 5” pieces
- 1 large tomato, sliced into ½” pieces
- Heat olive oil in a small skillet over medium-low heat.
- In a medium bowl, combine ground beef, worcestershire sauce, 1 ½ tbsp. minced garlic, salt, and pepper. Use clean hands to work seasonings into beef and shape three burger patties. Smother patties with mustard.
- Heat grill on medium (about 350-400 degrees F).
- In the small skillet, sautee onion rounds until slightly browned. Add red wine and baby bella mushrooms. Sautee until wine has evaporated and mushrooms are soft. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, ketchup, remaining worcestershire sauce, remaining minced garlic, and salt and pepper to taste, to create a special sauce.
- On the heated grill, grill your patties for 2-3 minutes, flip them, grill for another 2-3 minutes. Repeat. Before the last few minutes of grilling, sprinkle blue cheese crumbles on top of patties. Put cut ciabatta rolls face down on grill and remove at the same time as you remove the patties.
- Plate your ciabatta rolls and drizzle with special sauce. Place patties, romaine slices, tomato slices, and a spoonful of sauteed onions and mushrooms on rolls.
- Serve blue cheese burgers with blistered shishito peppers and a glass of McGrail Malbec. Enjoy!
Please let us know if you make these yummy burgers! We’d love to hear from you.
Cheers and enjoy!