By Laina Carter of McGrail Vineyards
If you’re anything like me, you live for the amazing fruits and veggies that come around during summer, but still, the quarantine hasn’t been great for your summer bod. Not being able to go to the gym and being stuck at home with a stocked fridge and an overflowing wine closet has physically put me more in a winter state than a summer one. Because of this, I’ve included some alternatives to certain ingredients and some optional steps, as to offer healthier versions of this scrumptious summertime supper.
Cheesy Summer Squash, Cauliflower, & Macaroni Casserole
Makes about 12 servings.
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 3/4 cup chopped red onion
- 12 oz. (about 4 cups) zucchini, thinly sliced
- 12 oz. yellow squash, thinly sliced
- Pepper to taste
- 12 oz. steamed cauliflower
- 12 oz. steamed broccoli
- 1 1/2 cups cooked corn kernels
- 1 1/4 to 2 cups shredded cheese blend (medium cheddar, Jarlsberg, and even a lite blend are fine), separated
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups grated parmesan, separated
- 3/4 to 1 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs, separated
- Optional: 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 (6 oz.) packages of macaroni and cheese (I used Annie’s organic mac and cheese with 12g protein for a healthier alternative to regular Kraft)
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Heat olive oil on medium-low in a large skillet. Add minced garlic and chopped onions and cook until soft and browned.
- Add sliced zucchini and squash. Add pepper to taste. Cook thoroughly, until soft.
- In a large casserole tray (I used a 9″x13″ tray), break up your steamed cauliflower and broccoli into 1″ chunks. Sprinkle with pepper, cooked corn kernels, 3/4 cup shredded cheese blend (optional), 1/2 cup parmesan (optional), 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs (optional), and melted butter (optional).
- Evenly spread cooked zucchini and squash on top. Sprinkle 1/2 cup shredded cheese blend and 1/2 cup grated parmesan on top.
- Prepare your macaroni and cheese as directed on package.
- Evenly spread your prepared macaroni and cheese over the casserole pan. Sprinkle with remaining 3/4 cup cheese blend, 1/2 cup parmesan, and 3/4 cup panko bread crumbs. Add pepper to taste.
- Bake in oven for about 15-20 minutes, or until the casserole is bubbling inside and the top is crispy and browned.
- Enjoy with a slightly chilled bottle of our McGrail Family Chardonnay!
I hope I’ve inspired you to make this delicious summertime casserole at home! Please let us know if you do try out this recipe. We’d love to hear from you!
Cheers and enjoy!