By Laina Carter of McGrail Vineyards
I’m a huge proponent of authentic German food, especially during the fall months, and I wanted to share the happy, warm feeling I get from this comfort cuisine with you all. I will admit, this recipe is cheating just a little bit, because I mostly use the easiest packaged dry ingredients where I felt was necessary. I don’t think packaged is necessarily bad, but actually making Bavarian egg noodles from scratch just sounds like a headache to me. Plus, these ingredients actually come from Germany, so there has to be some level of authenticity to them, right? Anyway, I hope you consider making this tasty German specialty. It pairs amazingly with our crisp, California-style Charlie Rae Chardonnay!
Cheese, Herb, & Onion Bavarian Egg Noodles & Chicken Apple Sausages
Makes about 8 servings.
- 2 tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and diced finely
- 3 cups dry (1 package) Bechtle Traditional German Egg Noodles Spaetzle (1.1 lbs. or 17.6 oz.)*
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and sliced
- 8 chicken apple sausage links (about 26 oz. or 3 1/4 oz. per link)
- 3 oz. chopped crimini mushrooms
- 2 tbsp. Chardonnay
- 8 oz. Jarlsberg cheese, chopped finely
- 1 packet dry Maggi Fix & Frisch Kase-Spatzle (35g or 1.23 oz.)*
*The Maggi Fix & Frisch Kase-Spatzle and Bechtle Traditional German Egg Noodles Spaetzle can be found on Amazon or at Cost Plus World Market online or in-store.
- In a large pan, heat 1 tbsp. olive oil on medium. Add small diced yellow onion and sautée until soft and slightly browned. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Prepare dry German egg noodles as directed on package.
- While German egg noodles are cooking, heat the remaining olive oil on medium in the large pan. Stir in sliced yellow onion and sautée until soft and slightly browned. Add chicken apple sausages and cook until slightly brown on all sides, turning occasionally. Add mushrooms and Chardonnay and continue to cook until mushrooms are soft and wine has been cooked out.
- When noodles are still hot and have been drained, add chopped Jarlsberg cheese and stir well. Add packet dry Maggi Fix & Frisch and sautéed onions. Mix well.
- Enjoy the cheese spaetzle and chicken apple sausages with some Terrapin Ridge Pumpkin Honey Mustard (can be found at McGrail) and a glass of McGrail Charlie Rae Chardonnay!
Please let us know if you make this yummy Bavarian staple at home! I’d appreciate feedback and would love to hear from you.
Cheers and enjoy!