BBQ Slow Cooker Country Style Ribs & Austin James
By Laina Carter of McGrail Vineyards
Our Austin James Cabernet is a three vineyard blend of 100% Cabernet Sauvignon from our estate vineyard, the C. Tarantino Vineyard, and our Lucky 8 Vineyard. We created this wine with the hopes of bringing out the best aspects of each vineyard, we combined the three different clones from the three different vineyards. The blend is produced using approximately one third from each vineyard. This bold, carmine wine initially opens with a hint of mintiness, then follows into notes of bright cherry cola, vanilla, cassis, and bright red raspberry. The red fruit on the palate contains undertones of clove and dark chocolate, and is further complemented by notes of red licorice, blackberry, and a bit of tobacco. The smooth, but bold tannins linger for a bit and leave this easy sipping wine ready for another taste.
One of the most important things to consider when pairing wine with food, especially when the wine is tannic, is that the fat in the food will cut down bold tannins. This is something I find myself contemplating often, as many of our Cabernets can be quite tannic. With that said, this recipe also pairs well with our James Vincent Cabernet Sauvignon, another big red wine. The fat in the pork tames the tannins in both of these delicious Cabs!
If you’ve never made country style ribs before, just be forewarned that these are not regular ribs. This meat just literally falls off the bone, especially when it’s been slow cooked. It can be enjoyed like pulled pork on a sandwich with coleslaw, over steamed potatoes or rice, or on a grilled cheese sando. The possibilities are endless.
Smoky BBQ Slow Cooker Country Style Ribs
Makes about 10 servings.
- Cooking spray
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and cut into sixths
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. pink Himalayan sea salt
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne
- 1 tsp. chipotle pepper powder
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 3-3.5 lbs. pork country style ribs
- 14 oz. BBQ sauce
- 4 stems green onions, sliced thinly
- In a medium slow cooker, spray the insides with a cooking spray.
- Place the sixths of the onion at the bottom of the slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, combine pepper, salt, paprika, cumin, chipotle powder, chili powder, garlic powder, cayenne, and cinnamon to create a rub for the meat. Mix well.
- Liberally rub the meat with the seasonings, covering all sides of the meat.
- Place meat in the crockpot, cover, and cook on high for 3-4 hours.
- Once cooked through, pull the meat out of the crockpot and taking care not to burn yourself on the hot meat, remove the bones and any fat or grisly chunks from the meat. The meat should fall off the bones easily, but some pieces may be tougher.
- Add BBQ sauce and mix to cover the meat in the sauce. Garnish with green onions.
- Serve on a bun with coleslaw or over some soft boiled and buttered potatoes with a few glasses of our Austin James Cabernet or James Vincent Cabernet.
Please let us know if you try making this slow cooker country style ribs pairing at home! I’d love some feedback and to hear from you.
Cheers and enjoy!